Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Screaming Medic!

This is the stuff that...makes me want a wheelchair.



Today was the start of the second week of 5K training. That's right, we survived the first week, and we are still continuing our crazy 3.1 journey.

We try to run together at least three times a week if our schedule permits. Last week we ended up running alone more than together so our "togetherness" rhythm is off. Okay our rhythm doesn't even exist. We normally run on indoor treadmills but today was a completely different story.

We had almost ran about a mile each on the treadmill today. Everything was going great, feeling good. Then just as I was increasing my speed on the treadmill...BOOM! The power went out. Do you know how shocking it is when you're running on a treadmill and it suddenly stops? It took my brain a few seconds to register exactly what happened. It had been raining outside but not in a hurricane, super, major thunderstorm like way.

With a slight drizzle outside we decided to take our workout...outside! Get some fresh air, run on a real trail..great 5K experience right? Hahah It's also great to train your brain that you won't die! In Florida when it rains and then stops raining the outdoors become a petri dish. The humans living outside are little growing bacterias. Get the picture?

So...outside we ventured to run the Warner campus. We...the growing bacterias...ran outside in our petri dish! At first everything was fine, it was great actually and then the PAIN!  Nope not a wee little itty bitty pain but a monsterous man eating pain. A runners nightmare...side cramp. Some people call them a stitch in the side. You know the feeling, most of us have all been there a time or two. Most of the time its okay in a few minutes, life goes back to normal,  resume your workout and everything is okay. Not today...you see I have turned sweet little Sara into a drill sergeant. Me and Sara first started working out together almost a year ago. I used to be the mean trainer. I would push her to do just a bit more or a few more reps. But today somewhere inside Sara came this evil militaristic person.

I was so excited about my run today, in fact I had been craving it. Then everything changed. I wanted to quit and I began questioning why exactly I thought this was a good idea? Why would anyone pay to run? I had convinced myself I was crazy and just couldn't do it. I wanted nothing more than to just collapse on the ground and just lay there.  Do to some medical reasons me and Sara both have days where we struggle physically. Today was one of them for me, but I survived and in the end I was super glad I did it.

P.S. When Sara says run to the third tree, she will try to convince you to run to the fourth tree...She has counting issues.

Sincerely,
Your side cramping miles conquering Hannah :)

No comments:

Post a Comment